Here is an updated list of 2018 New Year’s resolutions for baseball and softball hitters:
- only work on hitting mechanics that can be measured to increase bat speed and consistency
- never try to pull an outside pitch
- use my time in the on-deck circle wisely and with purpose
- trust my hitting mechanics in games because I worked so hard to perfect them in practice
- send a clear message to the pitcher by taking control of the batter’s box
- hang around with my batting tee as often as I hang around with my friends
- be humble and appreciative when I’m on a hitting streak
- try to learn at least one thing from every unsuccessful at bat
- remember that physical conditioning is not more important than working on my swing to increase power
- avoid swinging at sucker pitches (curves, sinkers/drops, rises, and change-ups) with less than two strikes
- only take hitting advice if the instructor can clearly describe the benefits of any new adjustment to my swing
- finish my swing completely before leaving the batter’s box
- learn when to swing for the fences and when to swing for my team
- become a “student of the game” by studying why the best hitters are successful
- build confidence by visualizing the desired outcome before and during every at-bat
- focus less on my average and more on being better than average
- “pay it forward” by finding ways to give back to the Game
- respect the Game in everything I do and say
- wake up every day giving thanks for the ability and opportunity to play the Game
If anyone wants to contribute other hitting resolutions, send an email and I will add the best ones to this list next year.
Happy New Year!
** Consider ordering Hitting with Torque: For Baseball and Softball Hitters to help you keep your 2018 hitting resolutions!
One Thought on 2018 Hitting Resolutions
Love seeing good men with a passion for the game giving back. Paul is just that kind of leader.